As part of the government’s commitment to create three million new apprenticeships by 2020, an apprenticeship levy was introduced on 6th April 2017.

The levy applies to all UK employers and replaces apprenticeship funding previously provided by the government.

Employers in the UK that have a wage bill of £3 million or over will be taxed of 0.5% of their wage bill above the £3 million, it will be collected through Pay as You Earn (PAYE). Only 2% of all UK employers fall into this category.

Those employers that do not pay the levy will still be able to access some government funding to pay for apprenticeship training.

See below what it means for your business.

My pay bill is less than £3m per year

  • You will not pay the apprenticeship levy
  • You will be able to access government funding for apprenticeships as per the current system

My pay bill is more than £3m per year

  • The Levy will take effect from April 2017 on your total wage bill in excess of £3m per year
  • The Levy will be 0.5% tax of your total wage bill, paid through PAYE
  • You will be able to access government funding for apprenticeships using as per the current system

LET US HELP

Arrange a levy consultation or read our handy guide for more information.

Levy Consultation

As part of the government’s commitment to create three million new apprenticeships by 2020, an apprenticeship levy was introduced on 6th April 2017.

The levy applies to all UK employers and replaces apprenticeship funding previously provided by the government.

Employers in the UK that have a wage bill of £3 million or over will be taxed of 0.5% of their wage bill above the £3 million, it will be collected through Pay as You Earn (PAYE). Only 2% of all UK employers fall into this category.

Those employers that do not pay the levy will still be able to access some government funding to pay for apprenticeship training.

See below what it means for your business.

My pay bill is less than £3m per year

  • You will not pay the apprenticeship levy
  • You will be able to access government funding for apprenticeships as per the current system

My pay bill is more than £3m per year

  • The Levy will take effect from April 2017 on your total wage bill in excess of £3m per year
  • The Levy will be 0.5% tax of your total wage bill, paid through PAYE
  • Funding for apprentices will be accessed as per the current system

LET US HELP

Arrange a levy consultation or read our handy guide for more information.

Levy Consultation

As part of the government’s commitment to create three million new apprenticeships by 2020, an apprenticeship levy was introduced on 6th April 2017.

The levy applies to all UK employers and replaces apprenticeship funding previously provided by the government.

Employers in the UK that have a wage bill of £3 million or over will be taxed of 0.5% of their wage bill above the £3 million, it will be collected through Pay as You Earn (PAYE). Only 2% of all UK employers fall into this category.

Those employers that do not pay the levy will still be able to access some government funding to pay for apprenticeship training.

See below what it means for your business.

My pay bill is less than £3M per year

  • You will not pay the apprenticeship levy
  • You will be able to access government funding for apprenticeships using a co-investment model
  • You will be required to pay 10% of the training costs with government paying the remaining 90%
  • Small employers (less than 50 employees) who are not levy payers are exempt from paying for apprenticeship training where the apprentice is aged 16-18, is a 19-24 year old care leaver or is 19-24 years of age and has a Local Authority Education, Health and Care plan. In this scenario the government will fund 100% of the apprenticeship

My pay bill is more than £3M per year

  • The Levy will take effect from April 2017 on your total wage bill in excess of £3m per year
  • The Levy will be 0.5% tax of your total wage bill, paid through PAYE
  • You will benefit from a 10% top up of your levy funds each month to help pay for apprenticeship funding
  • The levy payments will be managed by the digital apprenticeship service
  • An allowance of £15,000 will be granted to offset against your levy payments

Incentives for recruiting young people

All employers will receive an incentive payment of £1000 for employing a 16 to 18 year old, a 19 to 24 year old care leaver or 19 to 24 year old with a Local Authority Education, Health and Care plan

LET US HELP

Arrange a levy consultation or read our handy guide for more information.

Levy Consultation

Rathbone Training's Apprenticeship Levy Guide

 

Latest News

10/11/2017

Call for a balanced apprenticeships system

Government must work harder to make sure that the system provides opportunities at all levels

02/11/2017

Work experience works for Afia

Work experience has opened up a route to employment in retail for 17-year-old Afia

All Rathbone news